Re: [K12OSN] Turbo Pascal in Linux

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:24:27AM +1200, Bert Rolston wrote:
> Hi Kirk,

> > >We still need TP7 for 3 years though, while those who started with
> > >it, finish it off.

> I cut my programming teeth on Pascal. Glad I did, even though I don't program.

> >From memory the rationale behind Pascal was to provide a very structured language.
> This forced the programmer to used good programming practices.

> When I progressed to C it sure made a difference.

> Is there a Pascal equivalent on Linux?

> > Why? I can understand the "fierce resistance" by the computer studies
> > teacher, but don't you think it is unrealistic to expect anything in the
> > high technology field to be in place for long periods?

> As a teaching language I can understand the desire to continue with TP7.

> I've seen some real disasters produced using VB.

Though this will likely have no impact if the national standards mandate
Pascal, I recommend python as a first language for young programmers.
It's a language which likewise enforces good programming practices, is
feature-rich, and was in fact designed with instruction in mind.  It's
also beautifully self-documenting.

It is all around a better language for learning to program in than, say,
perl, C, or VB.  Or any other language I know, actually (though I don't
know Pascal).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer