[K12OSN] [Fwd: Re: [SYS_ADMIN] HSTI Linux]

Hello everyone,
This is a forwarded discussion from our sys_admin list for Technology
Departments in Arkansas Education.

As everyone is doing, we are contemplating the future, and making linux
machines clients districtwide.  The question has come up, how to take
the x login, and run "login scripts" based on the x login information,
such as passing username, and password to a script that would
automagically map/mount samba shares, such as the users home directory,
or mappings, based on their group membership.
kind of like a client for microsoft for linux...

Has anyone made any progress in this area?
Anyone found a "client for microsoft" for linux :-)

I see this as a real need for Samba....someone should develop a samba
client, that we can run on mac, windows(all flavors),linux, whatever...