[K12OSN] setuid root

I am getting the following error when I attempt to run ncpmount as a
non-root user:

"Must be installed suid root..." and it doesn't run.

I looked up the suid root concept on the web and it was suggested on a web
site that in order to set an app to be "suid root" I had to do a chmod 0xxx
<filename> where xxx is previous chmod bits. The leading 0 was supposed to
set the app to run as root. It doesn't work. I still cannnot launch ncpmount
as any user other than root. I need to be able to do this so that students
can mount volumes from a netware server.

FYI my current settings for ncpmount are: _rwxr_xr_x owned by root and group
set to root.

Please help.
Thanks,
Aaron