Re: [K12OSN] [Fwd: Re: [SYS_ADMIN] HSTI Linux]

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:06:31AM -0500, Barry Smoke wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> This is a forwarded discussion from our sys_admin list for Technology
> Departments in Arkansas Education.

> As everyone is doing, we are contemplating the future, and making linux
> machines clients districtwide.  The question has come up, how to take
> the x login, and run "login scripts" based on the x login information,
> such as passing username, and password to a script that would
> automagically map/mount samba shares, such as the users home directory,
> or mappings, based on their group membership.
> kind of like a client for microsoft for linux...

> Has anyone made any progress in this area?
> Anyone found a "client for microsoft" for linux :-)

The last vendor I saw to provide support for this under Linux was Corel,
and their solution was a terrible, bug-ridden, security nightmare of a
hack:  because of the way it handled the user's credentials, anyone who
was able to log into the machine remotely would *also* have full access to
impersonate the console user when talking to the file server.  So much for
having a multiuser security model!

The pieces are all there to do something similar with pam_mount et al., it
just needs someone to put them all together.  A decent impression of a W2K
workstation could be done nowadays using pam_krb5, nss_ldap, pam_mount,
and a few other tools; it just hasn't been shrinkwrapped yet. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer