Re: [K12OSN] setuid root

Aaron,

the leading '0' does NOT indicate suid root.

In fact the leading '0' turns OFF suid.
A leading '4' will turn on suid.

Take a look at the manpage on chmod.

I think what you need is something like this:

   chmod 4755 ncpmount

That should give you a mode that looks like this:

   -rwsr-xr-x

BUT, keep in mind that in general, setting a binary
as suid root can be a HUGE security hole.

Any user running the ncpmount command will actually have
root priviledges for the short time that the command runs.
But, if there is a vulnerability in the command, such as
a buffer overflow problem, it could be used to launch other
commands as root, and that's a bad thing.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org