[K12OSN] HSTI Linux

Hello folks,
Simplify, simplify, simplify. We've got windows boxes seeing linux and
vice versa. We've implemented linux machines here as servers with no
problem (squid/squidGuard, Samba, LTSP) but where it's getting tricky is
using linux for a client. Before we can fully implement linux clients
throughout the district (besides LTSP), we have to (and please excuse
the terminology) make things "idiot proof" =). We're running a few
machines with Redmond linux. It uses a modified version of KDE 2.2.2. It
looks pretty dern close to XP and when we asked some teachers about it
they thought it was windows XP. Even down to the Network neighborhood
where you can browse machines and the "My Linux" (my computer). I
suggest everyone check it out. I believe it's called Lycoris now. After
editing my rc.local script I got the machines to where they
automagically map the needed folders on our novell server (after
installing ipxutils and ncpfs). You could do this the same way with
samba by just using smbclient instead of ncpmount. Now Barry's talking
about going a step further with it by mapping drives on a per user basis
(different drive for different users) rather than a per machine basis.
Am I right, Barry? Perhaps there's a way to configure each user to use
their very own rc.local? Thinking out loud.
--
Caleb Wagnon, MCP
Fordyce Public Schools