Re: [K12OSN] Thin Client NIC problem

Hello Michael,

  Great card; there are a few people here partial to them as well.  The
current LTSP package, however, does not include the epic100 driver.  After
booting from your floppy disk / boot prom, the LTSP kernel is downloaded
and run, at which time the unsupported NIC card becomes a stopping point.

  I started tackling this issue myself and came up with a list of steps to
insert support for the NIC into an existing LTSP package without re-
compiling the kernel.  I laid out the steps I thought were necessary to do
so in a posting I made on this list on May 1st -- maybe you want to look
for it in the archive.  I had hoped that the guru's here could confirm the
process for me, or point out where it falls short of the mark.

  I haven't experimented with LTSP enough yet to offer you a solid
affirmation that the process works or a difinitive "howto" document as I'm
in the learning mode myself.  But perhaps the research I've done will give
you a leg up in your efforts.

Best regards,
--Kyle

> I am currently setting up a LTSP lab and am running into a particular
> problem with getting the proper boot rom image for a SMC EtherPower  II
> NIC card.  Since I have access to 50+ IBM machines that could be  used
> as thin clients (all of which are using the exact same card), I  would
> like to figure out the issue.  Through www.rom-o-matic.net and
> etherboot.sourceforge.net, I figured out that the SMC EtherPower II
> NIC should boot using the latest Epic100 image.  However, I get the
> following error:
>
> Searching for Server (DHCP)
> Opps, transmitter timeout, status=8000
>
> Some docs on etherboot.sourceforge.net suggest that this error might
> be related to the smp kernel.  The server I am running is a Dual PII
> Xeon Intel Cabrillo.  Any ideas on which boot rom image will work  with
> this NIC?
>
> --
> Michael Thomas					District Webmaster
> Tigard-Tualatin School District				Phone:
503.431.4053