[K12OSN] More than a Thin Client NIC problem

Thanks for the reply. However, the problem seems to involve RedHat more than just the K12LTSP project. It seems that this machine (IBM 300 GL--Pentium 233) with either the original SMC EtherPower II or a 3Com905-TX NIC is having NIC config problems at installation.

To summarize 4 troubleshooting scenarios quickly:

RedHat 7.2 Workstation install with SMC NIC: Installer recognizes card, however, DHCP configuration does not work, and eth0 does not register the NIC. If one runs the installer and specifies static numbers, ifconfig does show eth0 and networking works. However, using netconfig, one cannot switch from a working static number to DHCP. Networking breaks at that point.

RedHat K12LTSP 2.0.1 (RH 7.2): Problem as described previously on list. I think the hang up is DHCP-related since it throws the "Opps, transmitter timeout, status=8000" error after searching for DHCP server.

RedHat 7.3 Workstation install with 3Com NIC: Installer does not recognize card; installer bypasses networking setup completely. Once operational, ifconfig does not register eth0, netconfig does not work. However, if one removes the card, KUDZU recognizes that hardware has been removed and shows the NIC model number. If the card is replaced, KUDZU recognizes it. Netconfig comes up and DHCP then works and ifconfig recognizes eth0. (This is true for static configuration as well). Networking then operational.

RedHat 7.3 Workstation install with SMC NIC: Installer does not recognize card; installer bypasses networking setup completely. Once operational, ifconfig does not register eth0, netconfig does not work. (Have not tried to remove and replace SMC card to see if the KUDZU bypass solution works as it did for the 3Com card. It likely would.)

I know, I know, too many details!

So after all of that it seems that it is a fundamental (installer?) problem with RedHat 7.2 and RedHat 7.3. The networking issues are then manifested in workstation installs and in K12LTSP Client connections. Do any of you concur? Should I write RedHat? Does this impact the K12LTSP build?

Thanks to Aaron Leininger at our district for helping me troubleshoot!

mt

Hello Michael,

  Great card; there are a few people here partial to them as well.  The
current LTSP package, however, does not include the epic100 driver.  After
booting from your floppy disk / boot prom, the LTSP kernel is downloaded
and run, at which time the unsupported NIC card becomes a stopping point.

  I started tackling this issue myself and came up with a list of steps to
insert support for the NIC into an existing LTSP package without re-
compiling the kernel.  I laid out the steps I thought were necessary to do
so in a posting I made on this list on May 1st -- maybe you want to look
for it in the archive.  I had hoped that the guru's here could confirm the
process for me, or point out where it falls short of the mark.

  I haven't experimented with LTSP enough yet to offer you a solid
affirmation that the process works or a difinitive "howto" document as I'm
in the learning mode myself.  But perhaps the research I've done will give
you a leg up in your efforts.

Best regards,
--Kyle

I am currently setting up a LTSP lab and am running into a particular
> problem with getting the proper boot rom image for a SMC EtherPower II
 NIC card.  Since I have access to 50+ IBM machines that could be  used
 as thin clients (all of which are using the exact same card), I  would
 like to figure out the issue.  Through www.rom-o-matic.net and
 etherboot.sourceforge.net, I figured out that the SMC EtherPower II
 NIC should boot using the latest Epic100 image.  However, I get the
 following error:

Searching for Server (DHCP)
> Opps, transmitter timeout, status=8000

Some docs on etherboot.sourceforge.net suggest that this error might be related to the smp kernel. The server I am running is a Dual PII Xeon Intel Cabrillo. Any ideas on which boot rom image will work with
> this NIC?

-- Michael Thomas District Webmaster Tigard-Tualatin School District Phone:
503.431.4053
 6960 SW Sandburg Street				Fax:503.431.4075
 Tigard, OR 97223					E-mail:
 mthomas ttsd k12 or us
 http://www.ttsd.k12.or.us/ttsdwebsite