RE: [K12OSN] feedback on icewm packages requested

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bert Rolston wrote:

>> My hopes were that it would offer the simplicity that would not scare off
>> the timid users, while not completely fencing in the more adventurous users.
>> I, being an "adventurous" user, may be completely out to lunch on this one ;-)
>
>Did you catch my post on group permissions for KDE / Gnome menu options. It works well.
>
>It takes a little bit of time to set up initially. Once it's done the rest is easy.

Yeah, that's a pretty good hack.

I had three objectives for looking at icewm: 1) make a "minimal" desktop,
2) make it possible to "lock down" the desktop, and 3) reduce the overhead
of the desktop.

KDE has high overhead, so it's only possible to meet 2 of the 3 objectives.

Using one user logged in with icewm+nautilus as a baseline, a quick test
tells me that a full GNOME enviroment uses 21% more total memory and a full
KDE enviroment uses 27% more total memory.

KDE & GNOME are much nicer enviroments, but if you have limited memory the
overhead can be pretty detrimental to performance.

-Eric