Re: [K12OSN] release candidate?

On Mon, 20 May 2002, David Trask wrote:

>k12osn redhat com writes:
>>The one major item that I had on my TODO list that I did not get resolved
>>was remote sound under KDE. An updated ltsp_sound package can be released
>>when I get this one ironed out, so I don't want to hold up the final
>>release of K12LTSP 2.1.0 based on this. I'll post what I've learned so far
>>about remote KDE sound support & the issues I'm having in the next day or
>>two, maybe someone will be able to figure out what I'm missing ;-)
>

>Not ever having even seen IceWm...will sound work under this as well?
>I've always been able to get sound to work under Gnome, but KDE has never
>worked.  Will IceWm work?

Applications that use ESD (the E sound daemon) or the OSS sound drivers
will work.  Icewm does not have sound events, but any esd/oss application,
such as XMMS, will work fine under icewm.

KDE is the tricky one, it uses ARTS for its sound events. I can get ARTS
itself to work over the network, but I can't get KDE->ARTS->network sound
to work. As with gnome/icewm, esd/oss apps running under KDE work fine.

-Eric