Re: [K12OSN] Linux Uptake in K12

k12osn redhat com writes:
>David Trask wrote:
>> ...   While OS X isn't open source itself...it's based on
>> open source "Darwin" and therefore is a Unix based product as well.
>
>The core OS portion is open source, but the entire GUI layer (as far
>as I know) is proprietary Apple stuff.

True, I'm not sure, but I believe there's a development tool out there to
integrate the GUI or to develop on top of it?????

Actually I think it's called "Cocoa"

>> Work on developing for OS X as well...I think it's gonna' take off....
>
>For the non-GUI parts, this shouldn't be an issue.  But since the GUI
>libraries are all proprietary, you're stuck on Apple.
>
>I haven't followed this market, does anyone know if you can easily run
>X apps over the native OS X GUI?

As soon as my new iBook comes that's the first thing I'm gonna try

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us