RE: [K12OSN] presentation

Hi Ben,

Bert here.

Show 'n Tell, that's what worked for me.

The NZ government signed a deal with MS giving "free" software to all NZ
schools.

That was "good", it could have saved us about $10K, but we still needed to
upgrade hardware to the tune of $200K.

The K12LTSP, including 50 Win4Lin NSSE seats, using our existing Win9x
MOLPS, and the free M$ software came in at about $20K. We have a
M$ fixation here in NZ!

I envisage a move towards Linux as the preferred desktop over 2-4 years. SO
we end up with some unused Win4Lin NSSE licences, the cost is still less
than upgrading the hardware.

Hope this helps,
Bert

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:38 AM, Ben Nickell [SMTP:nickbenj isu edu]
wrote:
> Hello and let me introduce myself,
>
> My name is Ben Nickell, I work as a systems administrator at Idaho State
> University, and volunteer tech coordinator for the Pocatello Community
Charter