[K12OSN] Squid Hierarchy DNS lookup

Hi Eric,

I did some testing yesterday of a squid hierarchy with the parent squid at
the high school and the child squid at an elementary school.  It initially
appeared to work.  However, when I disconnected the elementary school's
direct access to the internet, it stopped working.  What I discovered was
that it was related to DNS lookups.  If I entered IP addresses directly into
a browser, the pages were fetched successfully through the hierarchy.  But
if I entered a URL, I could not get the page displayed.  So it must be that
the child squid still needs access to a DNS server even though all access is
through the parent squid.

What I'm planning to test today is installing BIND as a caching DNS server
on the PC running the squid parent.  I'll point the child squid DNS resolver
to the caching server on the parent squid.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System