Re: [K12OSN] LTSP on OSX

On Thursday, May 23, 2002, at 10:13 AM, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:56:49PM +0200, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:07:56AM -0700, Chris Thomas wrote:
I was reading a previous article here about OSX being *nix based (Free
BSD?). And i was curious is it possible to have an OSX box as a LTSP server?
The aqua interface is much nicer than what kde or gnome has.
<CUT>

I run os X exclusively on my desktop. It's not X protocol based(the GUI that is) They call it Quartz. It is BSD based(soon to be 4.4 based). Apple sells some remote desktop stuff, which is basically VNC, which won't do what you want. As far as I know, there is no way to do remote terminals with the Quartz(GUI) system. It's basically all old Nextstep stuff, so perhaps there is a way to do that, I think NeXT had a way to do this(Can't remember)?

You can run a X server side-by-side with the quartz desktop if you will. It's Xdarwin, and it can run 'rootless', so it shows up just like any other os X(quartz) app. So you could use os X as a client, but using it as a server would be fairly pointless(because of time to make the X server do remote desktops, etc) I'd imagine.

conventions:
X = Xfree86 and other versions of X Windows.
os X = os ten the new Mac Operating System, which has nothing to do with X Windows.

Hopefully this helps,
Craig