Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 3:52 PM
Subject: [K12OSN] Squid Proxy

After having no luck with the Apache proxy server, I switched to Squid. Wouldn?t you know it, I have the same problem as I posted yesterday. As the day wears on and the T1 gets saturated with requests, the proxy server slows to a crawl as well. At this point I wonder if the Proxy server is actually servicing requests or just looks like it is. At about 2:20 in the afternoon when school lets out for the day in all three districts serviced by this single T1 internet connection, everything speeds back up. I am so new to linux, I haven?t a clue where to start looking. I administer the proxy server through Webmin. Am I forgetting something in the conf file that Webmin can?t configure? Should I be running with 2 network cards instead of 1? Does the unit have to be placed in a particular arrangement on the network? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I just learned all 3 school districts reside behind a firewall/Nat unit.

Thanks again

John Pilmore