RE: [K12OSN] Squid Proxy

-----Original Message-----
From: John Pilmore [mailto:jpilmore sd273 k12 id us]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 6:52 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] Squid Proxy

After having no luck with the Apache proxy server, I switched to Squid. Wouldn’t you know it, I have the same problem as I posted yesterday. As the day wears on and the T1 gets saturated with requests, the proxy server slows to a crawl as well.

>    Is the server showing this by using top (gtop,system info)?

At this point I wonder if the Proxy server is actually servicing requests or just looks like it is.

>    Your cache is being built and its gonna be slow for a while. Basically you are gonna have a lot of TCP_MISS in the log.

At about 2:20 in the afternoon when school lets out for the day in all three districts serviced by this single T1 internet connection, everything speeds back up. I am so new to linux, I haven’t a clue where to start looking.

>    That's ok, Alot of this is a learning experience. Just keep digging read the SQUID FAQ. Lots of good stuff there.

I administer the proxy server through Webmin. Am I forgetting something in the conf file that Webmin can’t configure?

>    Its probably a good idea to get into the squid.conf file manually and get to know it. Good stuff there also.

Should I be running with 2 network cards instead of 1? Does the unit have to be placed in a particular arrangement on the network?

>    The NIC scenerio is really tough without knowing how the infrastructure is setup and where you want to go with it. If the >districts are on different subnets (most likely) its gonna get tricky. I would first make sure your clients are going through the >proxy. This all depends on the browser. You need to tell the client the squid IP and port number. Make certain your ACLs are >set to allow the IP then watch and learn. Look into how you want objects to be cached, how big the cache is gonna be, etc...

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I just learned all 3 school districts reside behind a firewall/Nat unit.

>    The firewall shouldn't be a problem at this point because if the subnets are behind it you are telling the clients to go to the >proxy and the proxy makes the request to the source. If the IP for the proxy is denied by the FW then that's a problem.

Thanks again

John Pilmore

Todd M. Costa
Cape & Islands Community Mental Health Center
EDP II, LAN Manager
"Work Smarter, Not Harder....Use Open Source Solutions"