remote monitoring [K12OSN] Client Management Software

>From the list:
_________________snip_______________________
  I am wondering if there is a program out there that is compatible with
LTSP that would let me do some basic client management remotely either from
the server or other fat client (i.e. help dek operator).

Assumptions:
================================
  PXE boot with a initrd holding /sbin (mostly static linked
stuff) and just enough sense to NFS mount the rest
  ThinkNIC as a display head with mild processing capacity
  Central Xserver and authentication using XDMP
  RO NFS export of /opt/usr. /opt/lib. and so forth, to mount
at the clients

Schema:
================================
If a XDPMD GDM log-in turns around and fires off a Window
Manager (WM)  back at the client PC displaying (it seems,
through a SSH tunnel back to the server, and then back to the
X-display at the client, through the GDM-set credentials),

Desktop             Server
--------            --------------
XDPM
    sets credentials and connects to
      plaintext  --> GDM

    where we Unix authenticate, and the NFS exported
/home/userid/.xinitrc executes a:
         ssh source-desk-IP /opt/usr/bin/xfce (parameters)
WM  < --- SSH

and as part of that WM (window manager) start, the WM fires up
a VNC server at the client end ...

... then a computer lab supervisor can connect to the
WM-VNCserver child and view (and indeed coach) the display,
mousing, keystroke by keystroke content

This also moves the processing load out to the satellite desk
PC's, and off the central server farm, which was another
thread while I was gone a couple of days.

The NFS export RO /opt/ points, and RW /home/userid/ -- if we
need security, we force the /home/ NFS only to TCP and route
it through a SSH tunnel -- the other content is not sensitive

/sbin is not wholly static linked:

[root couch sbin]# pwd ; echo ; for i in `ls`; do ldd $i ;
done | awk {'print $1'} | sort -u
/sbin

libcom_err.so.2
libcrypto.so.2
libcrypt.so.1
libc.so.6
libcups.so.2
libdl.so.2
libe2p.so.2
libext2fs.so.2
libiw.so.23
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
libm.so.6
libnsl.so.1
libpam.so.0
libresolv.so.2
libssl.so.2
libss.so.2
libutil.so.1
libuuid.so.1
not
[root couch sbin]#

(the 'not' is for those files NOT dynamically linked)

-- Russ Herrold