Re: [K12OSN] LTSP for 200 clients

I think Steve is thinking of the City of Largo, FL (search google for largo
and kde).  But there's an important factor in Largo's configuration: The
DHCP/BOOTP server that the workstations load their OS from only provides a
window manager application; that is, no other applications run on that
dual-processor 3GB server, so they can handle a few hundred simultaneous
users on those boxes.  Each app runs on a dedicated server.  The users have
an icon on their desktop that does a rsh call, for example, to the server
that runs just Star Office, which is then displayed on the user's terminal.
It's a great design because it allows them to do maintenance (downtime) on
one application without affecting any others.  However, there's nothing to
prevent you from, say, running some apps on the LTSP server and running
other apps on dedicated servers.  And your users won't know the difference
since all they do is click on an icon.  If one app is slow or hogs a lot of
resources, you can move that app to a separate server.  Flexibility, that's
one of the joys of LTSP.

Petre