Re: [K12OSN] Client RAM requirements? / Athalon ATA server vs. Dual-Xeon with SCSI - feedback?

Greg Long wrote:
> Finally, and this is a bigger curiosity than some of the others:
> Network congestion.  Pushing graphics over a 100bT can get slow.  Not
> being too knowledgeable about X, my experience with this is limited to
> running VNCserver/client over my 100bT here - but I'm the only user.
> With 24 or 32 active clients, isn't the network a limiting factor?
> Would performance be noticeably increased with just 12 clients?

Use switches (not hubs) for your network and it should help.  Also,
putting a 1000baseT card in the server and getting a switch with
at least one 1000baseT port would help, if you can find an affordable
solution (1000baseT cards that work with Linux can be had for < $100.)
The clients can all run 100baseT.  I suspect this would scale well
above 32 clients (although you may hit other bottlenecks there.)

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc cisco com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA