RE: [K12OSN] Client RAM requirements? / Athalon ATA server vs. Dual-Xeon with SCSI - feedback?

Interesting about IBM brand hard drives I've had some issues with my
light-duty server here at home which is also running our KLUG mailing
list - and utilizing a single 60gb IDE IBM drive.  Twice last week the
server was unresponsive.  flipping on the monitor illuminated a series
of illegal seek errors. Both times I'm not exactly sure what solved the
problem:  The first time, I rebooted and couldn't due to the same
difficulties. It was either a few minutes' time or wiggling the IDE
ribbon (which seemed secure) that did the trick. The second time I did
the same thing right off the bat after a shutdown, and it came up OK -
though I had to run e2fsck manually to repair some damage, fortunately
none of it seems critical.

The budget is very limited.  We may have the possibility of acquiring
Xeon CPU's (surely not the high end ones) through the StRUT program,
we'll have to apply for that.

I heard one fellow mention, don't recall which mailing list right now,
that dual CPU systems have issues after approx 3 years with timing and
reliability due to the effects of gradual burning on the silicon
affecting timing.

>>> I should think if everything runs from the server, even 4 or 8mb RAM
would do fine, and even a pentium 75 with a 2mb DRAM PCI video would
perform nicely with a 100bT NIC.  We can most likely make extensive use
of existing clients.

So....how about client RAM/CPU?  ;)

Thanks again, guys.

Greg