From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Hans Ekbrand
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 1:02 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Client RAM requirements? / Athalon ATA server
vs.Dual-Xeon with SCSI - feedback?

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 11:41:04AM -0700, Donald J Christensen wrote:
> The X server and the kernel run on the client side.  I think you would

> want at least 16MB to be comfortable, 32MB would be plenty.

On a 100Mbit switched network, NFS-swap is reported to work very good,
so less than 16Mb is probably OK. (Especially if the server has a 1Gbit
NIC on the server).

4 Mb might work, but the network load of the NFS-swapping might decrease
performance considerably. As always, it comes down to what applications
users need to run on the terminals.

Please report the result of your testing with these low-end pentiums
back to the list.

--

Hans Ekbrand