Re: [K12OSN] Client RAM requirements? / Athalon ATA server vs.Dual-Xeon with SCSI - feedback?

If there is not enough memory for the X server, kernel, and networking
code (and the few other system-type apps that will run on the client),
then swap will be needed for the client to run at all.  Ideally, all
of the code that gets executed on a regular basis will be in RAM and
not swap.  This is what drives the minimum RAM needed.

For example, on my machine at work, the X server is currently
consuming 120MB, but only 30MB or so is actually used on a regular
basis.  So, I don't need to size RAM to handle 120MB for the X
server, just 30MB.  It might swap occasionally, but that is tolerable.
(Don't ask why my X server consumes so much memory, I have a quite
non-typical setup.)

So, for thin clients, the minimum RAM size should accommodate the
amount of memory used on a regular basis by the X server, not the
maximum amount.  But some swap space will be necessary.

Anyone care to check their X servers in a  real environment?  Just
look at the output of "ps -auwwx" at check the RSS column and VSZ
column.  The results might prove enlightening for anyone planning
an installation.

-Don