[K12OSN] Some praise for Jim

I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I was in the Wine vs. Winex vs.
Debian debate raging over at http://slashdot.org, and put in my buck and a
half.  While in the shower, I started thinking about Jim (yes, you,
McQuillan).  The background is the license and turf disputes over the wine
code.  A month ago, I didn't have an opinion, but, if you read my posts
today, I am starting to have one.  It looks like Transgaming is taking a
bunch of code and running (they're entitled to by license).
Anyway, it's been a year or more since I read Jim's bio, but I remember him
writing about how he knew virtually nothing about DHCP et.al. before the LTSP
project and had to learn the inner workings of most everything himself.  He
built that project from the ground up, by using the good work of other folks.
 He could have always created some proprietary utility to config everything
together and sell it, but he didn't.  He (as far as I know) has always
developed everything in the open and been active in helping this and his own
forum, for free nonetheless.
He has made himself into an expert in this field, and, as such, can make
money doing it.  Don't get me wrong: I have never met or even talked by phone
to Jim, but I have seen his devotion to that project.  I don't know his
financial well being, but he seems to be making it.  He didn't have to limit
other's freedom in order to do that; he didn't stop great projects like
K12LTSP from standing on his work.  How many times he has though of going
propritary I don't know.  Maybe someday he will.  I doubt it, though.  I am
in Thailand, but I will say in an international sense that "Jim is a great
American."