RE: [K12OSN] Application Help

Hi all,

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002 10:55 AM, Aaron Leininger
[SMTP:aleininger ttsd k12 or us] wrote:
> This seems to defeat the entire purpose of going off of windows!?

Not necessarily. Windows is a lot more stable running this way!

This allows a transition from Win to Linux. I'm using this option at
present.

It also allows custom and centralised Win9x / 2000 configs.

To re-install Win 9x from scratch with apps takes about half my work day
(MS apps take so long to install). I'm employed for 6 hrs/day.

By using Ghost I can get this down to about 30 minutes from start to finish
using an image on CD.

By using Win4Lin NSSE running inside a Linux terminal session, I can
"rebuild" a Win9x machine in about 5 minutes. Trash the user home folder,
unTar the appropriate image, allocate appropriate rights, and the "machine"
is back up and running.

Have you ever wanted to write protect the Windows C: drive? I have, and
I'll be trying this on one of my Win4Lin sessions. If I break it, so what,
5 minutes later I'm back to square one!

So as long as we have Win apps that haven't been ported to Linux Win4Lin
makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,
Bert