[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #172 - 15 msgs

RE: Liux on the Desktop

I have used several distros (Corel, Lycoris, Blue and Red Hat 7.1) and am now using the k12os based on the RH 7.2, on my desktop at home.
I recommend any RedHat from 7.0 up, especially the k12os version, for your desktops.
The K12os version has lotso useful packages, and once installed, you can log into the Red Hat Network for regular updates.
I'm have a few minor difficulties with my printer, installation of Quanta and Corel PhotoPaint (missing libs?), but these are minor issues and I'm a newbie (less than two months experience with Linux).  I now do almost everything in on my linux partition (until I need to print seomthing) and will likely be M$ free at home, soon.  (printing is pretty important, but I think it is my printer, not Linux, at fault--time for an Epson).
If you already have desktops in place, as my school does, there is no reason to tear apart your extant structure for a terminal server, really.  One copy of k12os will install on all of your machines, so why not?

RE: Running STAR Reader in Linux...two things:

Win4Lin   http://freshmeat.net/projects/win4lin/
vmWare    http://www.vmware.com/

tony

http://www.School-Library.net