From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of chip
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 4:17 AM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] KX7-333R mboard for Athalon Server / Swap Death?

Greg:
Sorry forgot to include this I my last e-mail....
I am not sure if you understand how Swap is used in Linux.
The Kernel allocates memory as requested by Processes, when Real Memory
runs out, it starts into Swap Space, when both Real Memory and Swap are
completely full, the Kernel will KILL the process that requested
memory.(And if there is no swap  to start with, when Real Memory Runs
out, it starts Killing then)  So, therefore, it is wise to have as much
total
memory(Swap+Real) as possible, but I do not think that adding a 10 gig
hard drive is necessary for this -- if you need that much memory -- you
need to seriously look at what you users are running :-)

-Chip