Re: [K12OSN] Connection question - Server and Client

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 04:03:29PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> At 11:03 PM 2002/5/29 -0700, you wrote:
> >However in the long run, you will want to use a switch
> >in between everything.
>
> Is it "a switch" referring to the hub ???

No.

> Yes.  I would buy a hub finally.  But this is only a start for test.  I
> assume the cross over cable can be further used when I have a hub.

A switch is a smart hub. A switch knows which ip is at which cable and
only forwards packets addressed to a certain ip to the cable/machine
that has that ip.

A hub echoes all packets to all cables/machines.

You want a switch unless you only have a few clients. (If all clients
can recieve/transmit at the same speed as the server, then the speed
gains with a switch is small (a switch can use full duplex, a hub can
not), but having all traffic echoed to the whole network is bad
security).

--

Hans Ekbrand