Re: [K12OSN] Connection question - Server and Client

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Daniel and all guys,
>
> Thanks to all of you for your information.
>
> Sorry,  I am a little bid confused in reading the threads.  My question can
> be summarized in following points.
>
> 1) Direct connection, Server and Client, for experimental only in setup a
> Server and Client : - a crossover cable can achieve this target as advised.

Yes, you can use a cross-over cable to connect your server to a single
client without the use of a hub/switch.

> 2) Can the same cable be used to link the hub/switch to the Server or Client ??

Technically, you could plug the server or a client into the uplink port on
the hub/switch and it would work.  However, the uplink port is not
intended for that sort of use.  It would be more appropriate to use a
normal (straight-through) cable for both the server and the client(s) when
used with a hub/switch (and not plug a NIC - Network Interface Card - in a
system into the uplink port).

> 3) What is the difference in wire connection between a crossover cable and
> a patch cable.  Where can I find their connection drawings ??

http://www.cableu.net/uncleted/unclet04.htm

This link details the basic ethernet (T568A and T568B) wiring schemes.
Towards the middle of the page they also talk about cross-over cables.
There is a lot of information about both copper and fiber wiring on their
site that you might find informative.

Jeff