RE: [K12OSN] RH7.3 upgrade question

Well with 10mb, I believe it's like you have 10mb that you use to send
and receive (shared). With two nics, you can have 10mb for sending by
itself and 10mb for receiving by itself (not shared). Either way, you've
got two doing the work of one and it gives you more bandwidth at the
server end. I must say, if you're running on 10mb you'd be better off to
just get a 100mb switch and at least a 100mb card for your server.
Here's that how-to anyway:

    If you have a large number of terminals running on one server, you
may
> > run into a network bottleneck at your server. It would be nice to
> > replace that 10/100 setup with gigabit and get more bandwidth, but
some
> > of us can't afford that solution (after all, part of the beauty of
this
> > open source solution is that it's free). You can add another 10/100
nic
> > to your server and get more bandwidth that way via channel bonding.
It's
> > easy.
> >
> > Step 1:
> > Install the extra nic. This can be done with a current ltsp setup or
> > before a fresh install. Don't worry about assigning any address to
it
> > because we will change that later.
> >
> > Step 2:
> > Modify /etc/modules.conf by adding the line:
> >
> > alias bond0 bonding
> >
> > Step 3:
> > Add a new file ifcfg-bond0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The
> > contents of this file should be the following:
> >
> > DEVICE=bond0
> > USERCTL=no
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=none
> > BROADCAST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > NETWORK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > NETMASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > IPADDR=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >
> > You should fill in the x's with the same network information as the
ethx
> > that this new bonded interface will be taking the place of.
> >
> > Step 4:
> > The configuration files for both your intranet nics (example:
ifcfg-eth0
> > in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/) should be modified as follows:
> >

> > DEVICE=ethx
> > USERCTL=no
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > MASTER=bond0
> > SLAVE=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=none
> >
> > Again, where "x" in ethx is the number of your interface.
> >
> > Step 5:
> > Open the dhcpd script (located in /etc/init.d/) in a text editor and
> > modify the line that says:
> >
> > daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd eth0
> >
> > so that it says:
> >
> > daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd bond0
> >
> > Step 6:
    A network and dhcp restart may not work so reboot the server.

---