[K12OSN] IDE if /home is NFS?

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 19:13:06 UTC 2004

> /etc/csh.login should be the equivalent, but I have to ask: why would
> anyone use tcsh or worse, inflict it on others?

I am an R&D engineer by profession. Nuff said?

Seriously, on the High Performance Computing systems that I use (massively parallel computing), tcsh is the preferred shell for most applications.  I carry this bias over to the K12LTSP environment at the school.  So far, I have never seen a teacher actually access a shell voluntarily, so when I get tech support calls and have to drop into a shell to fix it, it is very convenient if the shell they use is something I am currently using. I have also found that sh or bash are not quite compatible or consistent across hardware platforms while tcsh is better behaved in this regard.

This isn't exactly a valid justification though and I am completely willing to switch to a different shell.  What would you recommend?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins