[K12OSN] Permissions Question

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Thu Apr 8 01:30:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 21:40, Jim Hays wrote:
> Here is what a file looks like now:
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 woobr08  woobr08     21504 Apr  7 10:13 Stocks.xls
>
> I need it to be
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 woobr08  teachers      21504 Apr  7 10:13 Stocks.xls

Why not make teacher member of each student's group? For instance I
supervise "babita" so my name is added to her group in the /etc/group
file, and the line looks like:

babita:x:606:babita,sudev

No need for cron job or chmod command and no time lag either before
access is available.

HTH

Please also try not to hit reply button and change topic as this plays
havoc in threaded views of mail clients. This is thread hijacking. Try
to start a new mail.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux