[ok-mail] [K12OSN] Scalability (long email)

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Apr 10 22:19:03 UTC 2004

That's one of the major problems with Windows Terminal Server; the
underlying platform's just not efficient.  The RDP protocol used with it
is reasonably efficient, but the server itself gets S-L-O-W very
quickly.  I never did more than five on a dual-PIII, 900MHz, 1GB DRAM
box w/ Ultra3-SCSI RAID, back when I was running Windows networks, for
performance reasons; with any more, the CPUs kept pegging, and the
memory subsystem kept almost continuously swapping to disk.  As it was,
there was plenty of swapping, and the CPUs were heavily used.  We also
had stability issues with user applications (e. g. Microsoft Office).
We ended up using Terminal Services only for us sysadmins and making
everyone run MS Office on their desktops again.  Boy, did we learn!

If for some reason you have to do this for twenty clients on one server,
then I'd recommend going for, at a minimum, a four processor box, with
max GHz (currently we're talking either Xeon 3.2GHz's or Opteron
2.2GHz's (that's the 848 model, BTW).  Also, better have no less than
4GB DRAM, and more is definitely not overkill.

--TP