[K12OSN] Recomiling a Kernel

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Apr 16 18:02:41 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 12:50 pm, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> assume all I need to do to add Appletalk as a module is check the module
> box under networking in menuconfig.

This is one reason I wish K12LTSP was done on debian. :)  Kernel recompile on
debian is a walk in the park.  That aside...

I think you have to make sure during that process that the modules folder gets
created.  I think you'll have to "make modules" or some such thing.  I've
never done a kernel in redhat... sorry...

Generally there should be a folder in /lib/modules/xxxxx  where xxxxx is the
build revision of your kernel.  Then upon reboot, you should run "depmod -a"
to set things to using the new modules.  (to be honest, I'm not exactly sure
what depmod -a does, but it always makes things work after a kernel switch)

Make sure when you edit grub that you make an ADDITIONAL entry, don't just
delete what's there, or you could really hose stuff.

After I typed that, I'd suggest looking on redhat.com or somewhere for kernel
installing tips.  I'm worried about your afternoon.  :)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director