[K12OSN] USB access at terminals

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at andaluciajunta.es
Fri Apr 23 13:28:53 UTC 2004

El Jueves, 22 de Abril de 2004 18:20, Petre Scheie escribió:
> I think the short answer is "not easily".  Work is being done on accessing
> remote devices like USB and CDROM, etc.  See the postings from Eduardo
> Elvira, aka edulix (including one today).  He says he's got it working but
> doesn't have a how-to written yet.  It involves building a new kernel for
> the clients.
>
> Petre
>
> Justin Paulsen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to access the local usb on the terminals?  I am wondering
> > about the use of usb devices such as usb flash drives, card readers and
> > alike.
> >
> > Thanks,

Hello:

Well, actually there's already a howto in http://smtp.active.ee/download/ltsp4_lda_v0.2.tar.gz. It's written by Andres Toomsalu. It give some nice instructions and code about howto setup USB (storage) devices, and cdroms. I haven't tried USB though.

But it doesn't come with a built kernel, and that could be the more difficult thing. As this seems interesting, this weekend I'm going to work on this and perhaps for monday I have the howto + needed files :-).

Oh, something more: I have compiled my kernel with a nice bootsplash and it's nearly correctly displayed in my test terminal, which is a laptop (some extrange color points appear), and translated most of the messages to Spanish (but I'll try to give you all in english don't be afraid :-).

Cheers,
    Edulix.