[K12OSN] About printing

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Apr 23 15:18:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 10:00, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> > gv postscript_file ...
> >
> 	you really think it is a good idea to to use gv to look for blank
> pages (by visually scanning output?) and then converting the ps to
> something more editable, removing the blank pages, converting again for
> print, resubmitting the jobs ..... goodness gracious, what a perfect setup
> for a bored masochist. the woman wants to *look* at files. maybe she
> should be replaced by a small script?
> julius
>
> p.s. convering to / from ps tends to hit the processor hard.

Whether something is a good idea or not is a very different issue than
whether it is technically possible or even difficult.  Postscript
is only marginally different from pdf format so viewing one makes
as much sense as the other.  You are right, of course, about replacing
all possible repetitive jobs with a script. I remember doing something
like that back in the day when blank pages were just form-feed
characters or some number of linefeeds and a lot of software sent an
extra blank page at the end of each job.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com