[K12OSN] Student problem

Paul Davison pauldavison at psps.com
Wed Apr 28 20:29:50 UTC 2004

Hi Jim,

Might I suggest the following (untried, but my brain seems to think it
works :)

. make all teachers part of the teacher group
. set the owner:group for drop to root:teachers
. all of the teachers by default have thier own group, so set the
owner:group for each teacher directory (Mrs.Smith) to root:mrssmith
. set the permissions to 773  (or rwxrwx-wx)

This allows any student to drop a file into a teachers drop box, but
they cannot read it. The teachers each have access to thier own
directory for read and write.

If you are going to the level of having a seperate directory for each
class the teacher has, then set the owner:group on those directories to
mrssmith:mrssmithsclassgroup with the perms set to 730 (rwx-wx---). This
would allow only students in the mrssmithclassgroup to save files in
that class directory. You could use this method to set the
subdirectories up by grade level as well.

Linux owner/group/other permissions do seem restrictive at the start,
but there is usually a way to make it all behave the way you want within
those perameters. It all goes back to how your groups are laid out.

Hope this helps

Paul