[K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Apr 30 13:43:14 UTC 2004

I would like nothing more than to stop using MS Outlook for mail.
The unfortunate reality is that where I work, not only is my
OS not my own, but the applications I run belong to the company.
Oh, they turn a blind eye when some of us developers install
software (like Firefox, GIMP, etc) but even that is strictly
against company policy.  Furthermore, if I don't keep my Outlook
calendar up to date with meetings and schedule, my boss is less
than happy with me.  I suppose that if I *really* cared about
open source, I'd go work somewhere else but frankly, I don't
care *that* much.  Hey, I just want to get my job done.

I do try hard to make my Outlook mail as palatable as possible.
I bottom post (which is harder in Outlook than it ought to be),
I trim, I quote and I post in plain text whenever possible (at
least I think I do.  Please tell me if this is not as clean as
it should be and I'll do what I can to be more responsible).

In any case, don't assume that we can all just do what we want.

--
Henry Hartley