[K12OSN] Samba File permissions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Apr 30 14:53:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:46, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> My Samba installation doesn't seem to mirror linux directory
> permissions.  Does Samba have settings to override linux permissions?  I
> would like Samba to assign whatever permissions to folders that linux
> has assigned.  Example of problem:
> In linux folder /home/Drop/Teacher1/Class1 is set to 773, I can write to
> this folder with any user in Netatalk or local, but get the error
> "Cannot Copy filename: Access is denied. The source file may be in use."
>
> Folders above Class1 are set to 755.  Any ideas?  I am so close, but yet
> so far to having this file server figured out.

Folder/directory permissions apply to the ability to create or
delete files within them.  Existing files within the directory
have their own owners and permissions. Samba can add restrictions
but can't ignore or override unix permissions with the exception
of mapping the connection to a different user and if files are
initially created through samba you can force the owner/group/modes
of the new files and directories.  If you want group access you
need to force the group ownership and group r/w and you may have
to come up with some other way to do this for files that aren't
created under samba.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com