Minimum Server Specs (was Re: [K12OSN] A couple of questions)

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon Aug 2 14:24:26 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:

> Maybe this thread could turn into a "you show me yours I'll show you
> mine" thread, so we can all see what size servers are handling what
> loads how well.  I know there is a spot on the k12ltsp site for case
> studies, but I've never had a chance to post my setups.

We (the Shuttleworth Foundation and SLUG- schools linux users' group)
have established 52 K12LTSP labs in the past year. These labs have
between 10 and 42 workstations each, where about 90% of them have 20-24
workstations.

Every lab has one server with the following specs:
- Pentium 4 - 3ghz with hyperthreading (even though hyperthreading is
useless when smp kernel is broken)
- 2GB RAM
- 2x SATA 120GB Seagate disks
- Intel Bonanza 875 motherboard (onboard gigabit ethernet)

These machines run quite nicely, and probably give the best bang for
buck at the moment (or at least, they do over here).

We're gaining more and more acceptance by government and more and more
recognition from education departments. Perhaps in the future, all of
the 17000 schools in South Africa will be rnning K12LTSP :)

-Jonathan