[K12OSN] Bandwidth requirements

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Thu Aug 5 01:05:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 18:34, Brian Chase wrote:
> However you may want the reduced operational expense of maintaining a
> clustered LTSP server, I think you'll find that when you run your total
> numbers together with WAN costs to your service provider, you'll find
> that this will far outweigh the operational costs of running separate
> LTSP servers at each site.
Also clustered server may not be stable enough yet. I have not had
success in running clustered servers with OpenOffice for instance. The
process die when shifted from one node to another.

Secondly it is far easier to do remote admin of many servers through ssh
with one / few admins in a central location.

Just for information though I typically see less than 1 mbps traffic per
workstation ON AVERAGE. Peak needs??

Would welcome inputs from others on what they observe.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux