[K12OSN] Conflicts installing webmin

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 13:26:55 UTC 2004

You should be alright with just getting the RPM from the webmin site and
installing it normally by issuing the following command:

    root#>    rpm -Uvh webmin<vers>.rpm

This installs the latest version and works well with K12LTSP 4.0.1.
This is the way I did it and everything works fine on my box, perhaps
the script is buggy.

Come to think of it, if you're launching the script as a non-root user
account, that may also be the reason.  One other thing you might try
first is log into the machine graphically as root user and double-click
on the icon that runs the script.  That could be your problem also
because a normal user doesn't have administrator priveledges and is not
allowed to install webmin.

If you're setting up K12LTSP for the first time, I'd make sure you log
in as root at least once in the beginning and run all those scripts.
There's also a neat tool to push standard icons that you select out to
all the users for programs not in the default menu.  It's a great tool
to alter the default appearance of the desktop.

If that doesn't work, I'd try posting more detailed error information on
this thread and we can look deeper.

Cheers,

BC