[K12OSN] Sound not working in either 4.01 or 4.1beta

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat Aug 7 00:22:39 UTC 2004

Ok...things are progressing....but as alway (it seems) when I toss in a
new version I cannot get sound to work.  I have generic onboard sound
cards that worked in 3.12 using nasd or esd.  I was using nasd...in fact
my old lts.conf sound globals were

SOUND_DAEMON = nasd
SOUND = Y
VOLUME = 110

SMODULE_01 = sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

My current (using 4.01...installed a few mins ago) is the following...the
only difference is the quotes....could that do it?

# enable sound by default
        SOUND              = Y
        # choose either esd or nasd to be the default
        SOUND_DAEMON       = "nasd"
        # SOUND_DAEMON     = "esd"

        # default sound volume
        VOLUME             = 100

        ### For ISA sound cards, you have to specify the module to use:
        SMODULE_01       = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

Any help appreciated...I need to get this working in either 4.01 or
4.1.....I'm able to go either way as I'm not committed yet....still can
install one or the other.  I've tried both with the same results.  Please
help  ;-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School