[K12OSN] Network problems w/4.1.0

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Aug 16 12:56:10 UTC 2004

> Jim,
>
> Any chance that the server nics are being detected in a
> different order,
> therefore requiring you swap the 2 network cables ?
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at LTsp.org

> This is my bet. I have seen the 2.4 & 2.6 kernels detect nics in
different orders.

> -Eric

Yes they are detected in a different order, that seems to be the case
with every install of 4.x compared to 3.x.  But I noticed that right
away and have swapped cables both ways to see what happened.  And like I
said, I have tried many NIC's (known working), the onboard Rhine II, a
3Com 905, 3Com509, LNE100TX in all different orders and slots and cannot
get anything to leave the box.  I am at the point where I cannot use
4.1.0 on this box because I cannot get it to the internet or get local
clients to see it.

Any other ideas?

---