[K12OSN] Three Issues With 4.1 Issue #1 Top

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Mon Aug 16 23:22:53 UTC 2004

I was using K12LTSP 4.0.1 everything was fine except for Issue #2 and #3 which
I will get to in those posts.

In this issue, I frequently used Top command to see how things were going, cpu
and memory wise.

the server is a Gateway 3.06 MHz processor with hyperthreading, and lots of
memory.  the Top program showed 2 cpu's when booting with the ltsmp(?)
version of the kernel.  When using the other version of the kernel, only one
showed.

I wiped the server and reloaded 4.1 version from scratch.  The two kernel
choices were smp(?) and not smp, no ltsmp(?)  I tried both and neither one
show 2 cpu's in Top.  the smp version of the kernel is supposed to be the one
used for multiple cpu's or hyperthreading.

Has anyone run into this?  I kind of like seeing 2 cpu's when running Top.  Is
this a change in 4.1?  if it is it is a flaw, I think.  Why am I not seeing 2
cpu's like I did in 4.0.1?

just to check, I wiped and reloaded 4.0.1 again.  I saw both cpu's again.
Then I upgraded rather than fresh install, 2nd cpu disappeared again.  I
understand that the second cpu is just a function of the hyperthreading, but
I like to know that it, the hyperthreading, is working.

Any help/suggestions.