[K12OSN] Linux viruses

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Wed Aug 18 13:23:02 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>server.  I found an update for this virus Trojan.Linux.Rootkit.s, so I
>researched it and found that it comes across disguised as a .mp3 and
>deletes the users entire home directory when executed.  So a little

Certainly that's not a virus? If I do a:
$echo "rm ~/* -Rf" > coolsound.mp3
$chmod +x coolsound.mp3
Then it should do the same as described above. Trojans and virusses are
two different horses. Executing *any* alien file is a big security risk.
Some script kiddie can easily break your system if he has enough info
about it.

Moral of the story: trust no one.

-Jonathan