[K12OSN] SWM 4.1

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Wed Aug 18 14:45:40 UTC 2004

Hi, everyone.  I just wanted to make a quick post to let anyone who is
interested know that in the tradition that all good releases come in
threes, the Symbiont Workstation Manager 4.1 was just released
yesterday.

I want to thank all of the hard working people who helped on this
project, many of whom (if not all) are on this listserv. :)

Also, a huge shout out to Jim, Eric, and the rest of the K12LTSP and
LTSP teams for their continuous achievements.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the Symbiont
Workstation Manager is a project that I coordinate that tries to
simplify the administration of an LTSP network.  It is a part of a
larger suite of tools that we are developing called The Symbiont
Management Suite.

The goal of our software is not to be just an lts.conf editor, since
frankly there is already a Webmin module for that, created by some
really talented people on this list.  Our software edits all of the
various files that require editing when changes are made.  It also
attempts to organize the ever growing list of configuration parameters
into a coherent manageable group, with simple choices that make it easy
for administrators from newbies to veterans.  On top of that, our
software wants to tackle higher-level issues that *shouldn't* be built
into LTSP, such as configuring multiple servers from a centralized
interface, and helping resolve common config problems more easily (no
more "What do I do when I get the grey screen with the X"?)

The Management Suite adds tools to manage users on the system, as well
as add-ons for particular environments (i-cafes, etc), and above all
support (since we have to feed our children somehow...)

Anyhow, I promised myself, I'd try to be short and sweet, so I'll stop
talking.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a
line directly.  And, once again, a round of beer to everyone!  The world
is going diskless...

Cheers,

-Gideon
Gideon Romm | Product R&D gideon at symbio-technologies.com

Symbio Technologies                     o:(914) 576-1205
134 North Ave, Suites E&F               f:(914) 576-0944
New Rochelle, NY 10801                  c:(914) 774-4691

                www.symbio-technologies.com
                    www.thesymbiont.com