[K12OSN] Linux viruses

Mario Guerra mguerra at cariari.ucr.ac.cr
Wed Aug 18 15:29:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:30:52 -0500, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org>
wrote:

>> There are some attempts at real time scanning
>> like http://dazuko.org/ that work with clam
>> and others, but it still sounds pretty experimental
>> and likely to cause more trouble than it prevents.
>
> Yeah, I tried dazuko and didn't have much luck.  Everything said use at
> your own risk so I did.  It didn't crash the system or anything but I
> had no problem uploading viruses to the server.  I don't really have a
> problem running ClamAV nightly or anything but real time would just be
> better.  The main reason for virus protection on this campus is that
> most of the machines are still Mac and Windows.  So I want a system for
> real time protection with them.  I am not worried about viruses on the
> Linux machines yet but just wanted to be sure no one is telling people
> that anti-virus is not needed on Linux because they don't exist (like I
> have been saying until about 2 days ago).

If you don't have a periodic (daily or the like) update task, you will get
the most common of virus-like events in Linux/Unix systems: worms,
especially those called rootkits. So both have your system updated and run
an antivirus like ClamAV. I would recommend to run a software like
tripwire.

Mario Guerra