[K12OSN] Username conversion script

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Wed Aug 18 18:03:07 UTC 2004

As I just found that Webmin has the nifty module to add a plethora of
users via a text file with the 13 fields...
I'm modifying my python script to merely take a textfile with each
user's full name  'firstname lastname' on a newline
to output my username format of  1st 4 letters of the lastname + 1st 2
letters of the first name...

so  John Smith == smitjo
then you can just get a text file from your registrar and choose your
'username format' and create the file to upload to Webmin
to create your hundreds of users *snap* that fast =)

If any would like this python script let me know!
hand typing 200+ usernames became too much for me last year! Automation
is lovely!

It is fairly trivial to adjust the naming convention from 1st 4 of
lastname + 1st 2 of firstname
to 1st 1 of firstname + full lastname   i.e. John Smith == jsmith

Although the script does not check for duplicate names...you'll need to
decide how you deal with that.
I just add a number  =)

--Huck