[K12OSN] DNS resolve

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Aug 20 12:54:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 02:31, Kevin Verheyen wrote:
> my resolve gets form the dhcp server;
>
> Search SCHOOL
> nameservers 10.0.0.1
>
> Both are dynamicly assigned.
> Could you explain me the formwarding stuff? I'm just starting to use
> Linux servers, but gotta learn fast :-)

First try "dig @10.0.0.1" to see if the existing server
has a problem (with no lookup specified you should get
a list of root servers).  Then try it with some
local names ("dig @10.0.0.1 hostname at school") to see
if it has answers for internal machines.  You have to
supply the full domain form of the name for dig - nslookup
would add your own domain to the lookup for you but
the diagnostics aren't quite as good.

It's probably better if you can get the existing DNS
server to work if the k12ltsp must obtain it's address
through DHCP because you'll also get the DNS assignment
dynamically.  It should also be set up to reverse-resolve
the IP numbers to names for the local subnet ranges.  It
doesn't make much sense to bother the root nameservers
with lookups for 10.x.x.x numbers.  I wouldn't set up
a forwarding server until after establishing that there
is a problem just using the existing one(s).

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com