[K12OSN] How to remove blackjack from student computers?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sat Aug 21 15:43:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 08:08:30PM -0500, Jerome Edwards wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to remove blackjack and poker from K12LTSP 4.1.0? I
> looked but didn’t see them in the add/remove program. Our principals are
> requiring the games be removed or we have to cancel using K12LTSP.

What Wm are you using, GNOME ,KDE, or ICEWM?

Hint: the correct answer is "ICEWM"  (As in ICEWM is the easiest
to configure the menues in so that the blackjack and poker games are not
choices)

Best approach - use the menu editor for your WM to remove the choice
from the menu's before any user's are added.

If you have already added user's home directories then you may have to
do it for every user (blecch).

One way to do it for all WM's is to locate the executable programs
and simply delete the files, or rename them to something else.
This will fix it for all current and future desktops of user's
added to the system as well

You could even replace them with a shell script that says
those games are not allowed.

For example:
#!/bin/bash
DIALOG="Xdialog --icon \"warning.xpm\" --timeout 10 --screen-center --wrap --title \"student  Station\""
$DIALOG  --backtitle "program not allowed " \
               --infobox "The program $0 is not allowed this workstation" 10 60 10000  &

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"